Friday, December 06, 2013

CONFUSING WORDS

WordTypeMeaningExample (Sentence)
AdaptVerbTo change or change something to suit different conditionsWhen I lived in Kerala, I had to adapt my lifestyle to fit in with the culture there.
AdoptVerbTo accept something formally and put into effectOur company adopted a no smoking within 100 yards of the premises
AllusionNounAn implied or indirect reference especially in literatureYour allusion to Shakespeare is unclear in this essay.
IllusionNounA misleading image presented to the visionThat picture is an optical illusion. It tricks your eye into seeing something that's not there.
AcceptVerbTo agree to take somethingI always accept good advice.
ExceptPrepNot includingI teach every day except Sunday(s).
AdviceNounAn opinion that someone offers you about what you should do or how you should act in a particular situation.I need someone to give me some advice.
AdviseVerbTo give information and suggest types of actionI advise everybody to be polite to their teacher.
  You can also use any in a positive statement if it comes after a word whose meaning is negative or limiting:1. She gave me some bad advice.
   2. Really? She rarely gives any bad advice.
AffectVerbTo influence, act upon, or change something or someoneThe noise outside affected my performance.
EffectNounEffect is followed by the preposition on and preceded by an article (an, the) meaning: to have an impact on something or someone.His smile had a strange effect on me
AloneAdj. Or adv.Without other people or on your ownHe likes living alone
LonelyAdj.Means you are unhappy because you are not with other peopleThe house feels lonely now that all the children have left home.
A lotCan be used asAdj. - a large amount or number of people or thingsI need a lot of time to develop this web site. I look a lot like my sister.
  Adv. - very much or very often 
A lot Doesn’t existThere is no such word in English
AllotVerbTo give (especially a share of something) for a particular purposeWe were allotted a desk each.
All ready Completely readyAre you all ready for the test
AlreadyAdv.Before the present time or earlier than the time expectedI asked him to come to the cinema but he'd already seen the film.
All togetherAdv.Together in a single groupThe waiter asked if we were all together
AltogetherAdv."Completely" or "in total "She wrote less and less often, and eventually she stopped altogether.
Any one Any single person or thing out of a group of people or thingsI can recommend any one of the books on this site
Anyone Any person. It's always written as one word.Did anyone see that UFO?
Any & someBoth are determinersThey are used to talk about indefinite quantities or numbers, when the exact quantity or number is not important. As a general rule we use some for positive statements, and any for questions and negative statements1. I asked the waiter if he could get me some water. I said, "Excuse me, have you got any water?" Unfortunately they didn't have any.
   2. Would you mind getting some chocolates while you're at the shop?
ApartAdv.Separated by distance or time.I always feel so lonely when we're apart.
A partNounA piece of something that forms the whole of somethingThey made me feel like I was a part of the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment